When you are struggling with a tooth that is failing or missing, it impacts your life in many ways. You might not be able to enjoy the healthy foods that you used to since it becomes more difficult to chew. The appearance of your smile may also cause you to feel embarrassed or self-conscious when you talk or smile at other people. The good news is that there are some excellent options to restore your tooth and your smile, and dental implants may be ideal for your situation.
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is comprised of three essential parts:
- The implant: This is a titanium post that is surgically placed into your jawbone, taking the place of your root. This happens over time since titanium is biocompatible and naturally integrates with your bone so it can support your new tooth.
- The abutment: This is the piece that attaches your crown to your implant.
- The crown: This is the portion of the implant you see that is designed to mimic your tooth closely. It is made of ceramic porcelain that is customized to match your surrounding teeth and complement your smile.
What are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Dental implants provide several benefits for patients beyond just replacing your tooth that no other replacement option can offer such as:
- Protecting the health of your jawbone against the deterioration that occurs when a root is lost.
- Providing a natural look, feel, and function for your new tooth.
- Lifetime longevity with the proper home care and regular checkups with your dentist.
- Eliminating the need for compromising neighboring teeth as anchors for your restoration.
If you're tired of letting a failing tooth control your life, contact Dr. Aygen to learn more about how dental implants in Sarasota can help you reclaim your smile and your oral health.